Sunday, January 27, 2008

Crusty! How about a beer? crust that is

Yep just made an awesome beer crust, and everybody loves it! so what are you waiting for? how does your crust crisp up ya its a mouth full huh :)

Ok I am going to give you a great recipe for a beer crust and if you give it a try don't worry no one will get drunk, what they will get is an awesome crust that is yeasty, bakes up with the perfect amount of chewy sponge and yet has a crispy bottom that will crunch as you run the slicer across it!

every great pizza starts with the crust its the foundation of "your" pizzeria, every body says they have a great crust but the truth is most are bland at best. I am introducing a thick crust pizza at Fregene's and have been reading a lot about different techniques on blending the right flour to get the perfect crust, but when it came right down to it I really wanted to make my own-----so I did, and

Here it is

160 Oz. Flour
1/2 qt filtered Hot water
72 oz of beer "I use a local Micro Brewery" and so can you any good amber ale will do
1/4 cup yeast
1/4 cup sugar
one cup Olive Oil

Place the flour in the mixer and turn it on, add the yeast to the hot water and mix well, at the same time pour the olive oil and water/yeast mixture into the mixer "a slow pour is best" when that is done begin to pour the beer into the mixer at an even slow pace, the mix will be quite set but let the mixer do its work and mix for 10 minutes. When your mixing is done then "ball " your dough into the regular size you normally use "this batch makes 10 27oz dough balls" that is my large size. I let my dough proof at room temp about 68degrees and it is ready to bake in two hours, and will last 24 hrs with refrigeration.

Now most of you use a deck oven, but let me tell you I use impinger's and at 550degrees this pizza cooks perfectly in about 5 minutes, so make a note of that and adjust your ovens or cook times accordingly.

More importantly MIX IT UP, use your imagination and make your pizza crust zing with a little cajun seasoning, or a touch of red peppers it is a great way to run a special and your customers will appreciate a new addition to the menu and it is easy to do.

Let me know if you have any questions about the crust, I hope you have fun with this one!

Chef Glenn

Your crust should NOT be doughy at all, you wil get a great sponge and crisp bottom every time

No comments: