Thursday, January 10, 2008

So let's eat!!!!

And yes that means I have some great restaurant reviews for this week so lets get going!


The first is ROSSO Pizzeria & Wine Bar
53 Montgomery Drive, Creekside Center
Santa Rosa, CA 95404
707-544-3221

Ok so I went up to ROSSO on Tuesday to see what all the buzz was about, and to say the least I was very pleasantly surprised, a great wood fired oven, the decor is warm and inviting "even for a strip mall" and when I was walking up I noticed the Host NOTICE me and welcomed me as I stepped in the door, Bravo! the place was packed, two tables remained and I sat in a booth close to the kitchen so I could watch the Pizza Chef and Co Owner John Franchetti work his magic.

My Waiter was Carl ASK FOR CARL!! he was great! Carl knew his menu inside and out, and his knowledge of the wine list was great and while the place was packed the entire wait staff seemed relaxed and in control, I ordered a starter of Burrata and Prosciutto a house made Mozzarella in cream wrapped in Ricotta Cheese finished with a drizzle of E.V.O.O. and at .9 it was worth every penny!

On to the Salad, Mixed Baby Greens, sweet walnuts, crisp slices of tart apples and nuggets of Point Reyes Blue Cheese, a perfect combination. Salads range from .8 to .12

Now for the Za! and here is where it gets a little tough, learning how to use a real wood fired oven is tough, and it is easy to go from charring your crust to burning bubbles, but there is a learning curve and I am sure the staff will get it right! I ordered the Fungi and it was great, the Za menu is unique and fresh and ALL the ingredients are organic, even the wine!

Now I had the honor of participating at the Troffeo Citta' Di Napoli original Margherita Pizza Competition in Naples last June and I admit I am a bit of a snob when it comes to a traditional Margherita pizza made the Old World style, Chef John is such a delight to watch in his kitchen and the love he has for his product is palpable, but the pizza fell a little short of what I had expected BUT ONLY A LITTLE John :)

ROSSO gets 5 out of six slices, and I am going to be looking for the sixth slice real soon Chef John,thank you so much for the wonderful fair, and to Carl------you rock!

The Second is Finbar Devines Irish Pub
145 Kentucky St
Petaluma, Ca 94952
707-762-9800

And there is not much to say about Finbar except for WOW! FB is really one of if not the best authentic Irish Pub in Sonoma County and that is not just because it has the largest collection of Irish whiskey and a great beer selection.

It is because the food is fantastic, the menu is full of great appetizers but the real winner is the Shepherds Pie! yep this is amazing, a nice side of sautéed veggies in a real butter sauce, perfectly cooked I might add, then the pie fresh ground beef in a light but very flavorful gravy along with peas carrots and topped with mashed potatoes finished in the broiler to give them a finish that is to die for.

The ultimate comfort food, thanks Frank well done!
Six slices pal, its the best!


So what are you waiting for? turn off the computer grab your favorite accomplice and go EAT!

Try one of these great restaurants, you will be happy you did.

Cheers, everyone

Chef Glenn

No comments: